Memorandum of Association
For a Non-profit Society
The name of the Society is Atlantic Spinners and Handweavers.
On a volunteer and non-profit basis, the objectives of the Society are:
- to bring together those persons interested in handweaving, spinning, dyeing, and related textile arts for their mutual benefit and enrichment of their skill and artistry;
- to support and promote these interests among the general public, and thereby contribute to Nova Scotian culture.
To achieve its stated objectives, the Society shall:
- hold regular meetings consisting of business of the Society and a program of interest to the members;
- regularly inform the members of the business of the Society and of relevant events and information;
- provide public demonstrations and exhibitions of spinning, weaving, and dyeing;
- participate in or organize workshops, study groups, and conferences for developing skills and exchanging information;
- consult with other organizations working in the same or related fields to promote the specific interests of the Society;
- consult with and engage in joint projects with related craft or other organizations for the purposes of public education and promoting handweaving, spinning, and dyeing;
- advocate with respect to issues of concern to its members related to the fields of crafts or cultural activities in general;
- engage in other non-profit activities relevant to the objectives of the Society;
- acquire by way of grant, gift, purchase, bequest, device or otherwise, real and personal property and to use and apply such property to the realization of the objectives of the Society;
- buy, own, hold, lease, mortgage, sell and convey such real and personal property as may be necessary or desirable in the carrying out of the objectives of the Society.
- The society shall not carry on any trade, industry, or business;
- All funds shall be used solely for the purposes of the Society and the promotion of its objectives;
- Upon dissolution of the society and after payment of all debts and liabilities, its remaining property shall be distributed or disposed of to:
- qualified donees described in subsection 149.1(1) of the Income Tax Act ("charitable purposes").
- non-profit organization(s) in Canada having objects similar to those of the society.
The activities of the Society are to be carried on in Nova Scotia.
The Registered office of the Society is located at: 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 3A6.